Appendices to FOSTER of Launceston, Australia
… page 4.
The "FOSTER Family" section of this site is divided into 13 chapters and 8 sets of appendices. Please read in sequence by following the links at the bottom of each page or use the "Quick Nav" at top right. If you wish to select individual chapters, please click on the top left link to the Sitemap page.
Contents of this Website are subject to Copyright © by Philip Strong, & allow fair academic use.
Do you have information, opinion or a question relating to either this site’s contents or its copyright? Please use the e-mail link available at the bottom of each page. I look forward to corresponding with you.
The appendices are arranged as follows:
- … page 1:
Appendix 1: Meetings of the Launceston Marine Board,1879.
Appendix 2: George FOSTER’s Testimonial at his Retirement.
Appendix 3: Poem: Sorrow on the Sea.
Appendix 4: George FOSTER’s Property
- … page 2.
Appendix 5: Descendancy Reports: Jane FRANCIS (née FOSTER), Thomas FOSTER, Catherine McCLURE (née FOSTER), Annie STEVENS (née FOSTER),Roderick McLEAN.
- … page 3.
Appendix 6: Descendancy of McLEANs & associated Mull Families.
Appendix 7: Sydney STEVENS & the annual smoke concert.
- … page 4.
Appendix 8. Additional material relating to Chapter 13: List of Australian POWs; Photo of Albie & Ivan RUSH on release from Pakan Baroe POW camp.
This page contains appendix 8.
Appendix 8: List of Australian POWs from Hilton Stanton's donation to the Australian War Memorial (original author… Arthur Tranter).
Background to the List.
Hilton Stanton is a unique man. He was a POW in Gloegoer, taken from there to Atjeh and ended up in Pakan Baroe, all in Sumatra in WWII. Hilton has now reached the age of 90 in 2013.
Unlike most other POWs Hilton did not try to actively forget and not talk about his experiences, and run the risk of creating unintentional false or even fabricated memories later in life. Soon after his return he wrote about his war and created a list of Australian men in these terrible places.
His documents follow the ideals of academic history writing. They were written from first hand experience shortly after the event, and all data was cross-checked. Hilton said in letters to me: "The list that you sent to me (see below) was compiled by Lieut. Arthur Tranter. Arthur kept lists on scraps of paper ...all we had. At one stage in the army he had been an adjutant, therefore he knew the value of lists". Hilton made his own separate list soon after repatriation. He said: “I compiled ‘my’ nominal roll from memory and tracked all people down by mail. I compiled everything I wrote from this correspondence. Everything that I wrote is factual because I checked everything. I cringe when I hear or read statements by others.” ii)
Word would have travelled among the POWs and the miltary about Hilton's efforts and somehow he was sent Arthur TRANTER's document. Perhaps it was given to him in the context of the preparation of his memoirs, described by the AWM as: “… bound and typed copy of memoir prepared by the Army History Unit, Department of Defence.” Did the Army History Unit give Hilton the list? Hilton didn't definitely know the author of the document at the time and he sent a photocopy to Arthur Tranter with the inscription: "This is a copy of the original Gloegoer Roll. I suggest prepared by you. It appears to be your printing." Arthur's daughter Brenda Tranter confirmed the authorship of her father’s list from her father’s handwriting. iii)
I asked Hilton about the addresses given in Arthur Tranter's nominal roll. He said: “I see nothing wrong with printing the names and addresses of all concerned. There are very few alive now, and, like me changed their address on returning home. I am only aware of 3 being still alive. You are at liberty to use anything I have written. To me the full address seems appropriate.” ii)
Arthur Tranter's list and Hilton's memoirs have been lodged with the "Papers of H.A. Stanton" in the Australian War Memorial i). I have transcribed the list (see below) and have made significant quotes from Hilton's memoirs in chapter 13. Hilton is the copyright holder of this material in the AWM and I thank him for his permission to use it in this website. Note that the original list showed its age by its yellowed appearance, missing bits in the corners and the folds obscuring the handwritten printing.
Sources for POW Lists:
i) Stanton, Hilton Alfred. Memoir regarding experiences as a prisoner of war. Private record: ID number: PR85/074. Australian War Memorial. See here.(Two folders)
- … Folder 1 of 2:
(PR85/074… Memoir regarding experiences as a prisoner of war, Sumatra including building of Pakan Baroe/Moera railway line, nominal roll of those who died on railway, nominal roll of prisoners at Pakan Baroe; bound and typed copy of memoir prepared by the Army History Unit, Department of Defence.)
- …Folder 2 of 2:
(PR85/074… PR 85/74.001 Papers of H.A. Stanton 2/29th Bn AIF 1939-45 AWM 419/99/43 2 of 2.)
ii) Pers. comm. Hilton Stanton. 2013.
iii) Pers. comm. Brenda Tranter. 2013.
(The full list of POWs at Gloegoer.)
… taken from PR85/074… Folder 2 of 2. This list transcribed below complements Hilton's lists in Folder 1 of 2… Australian POWs who were lost on the torpedoed ship with those who workd on the Pakan Baroe railway.
- Lieut Richardson. G.D. NX35127; 2/18; Old Roslyn Raymond Terrace NSW
- Lieut Nichols G.F.A. NX40490 ; 2/18; Box 2 Inverell, NSW.
- Lieut Baeyertz. C.B. (NX58702); 2/20; Moorilya Ilford NSW.
- Lieut Tranter. A.E. (VX52843); 2/29; Wright St Heathcote Vic
- 2/Lieut Thompson. D.A. PK13673; (--); C/o Tuttle & Calder 115 Pitt St Sydney NSW (Australian in British Army)
- 2/Lieut Bode. E. (--); (--); 73 Toorak Rd Hartwell E5 Vic. (Australian in British Army)
- WO1 Walters. T.J. VX50833; 4th MT; “Sports Oval”, Park St Wst Brunswick Vic
- A/Sjt Annear. R.W. WX13468; 4th MG; 45 Campbell St Kalgoorlie WA
- Cpl Campbell. A. VX51885; 2/29; 194 Peterborough St Christchurch NZ
- Bdr Cotterell. A.C. QX9931; 2/10 FR; Crosby Rd Albion N2 Brisbane Qld
- Cpl Extrem. T.J. NX51274; 2/19; Jasper Rd Baulham Hills NSW
- Cpl Harrington. P.E. NX4572; 2/18; “Glendowie” Vale Rd Bathurst NSW
- Cpl Hawarth. P. VX42190; 2/29; Thistle St Surrey Hills E10 Vic
- Cpl Kernan. J. NX42533; 8th Div H.Q.; 50 Bourke St Sydney NSW
- Cpl Magill. A.M. WX16886; 4 MG; 30 Bumbury St Collie WA
- Cpl McKay. L.W. VX32820; 2/29; PO Neerim Gippsland Vic
- Cpl North. G.L. VX30155; A.S.C.; 4 Coria St Sunshine Vic
- Cpl Parish. W. VX39884; 4 MT; 225 Station St Fairfield Vic
- Bdr Pointing. A.W. VX36766; 4 A/TK; 6 Langwells Pde Northcote Vic
- Cpl Richards. J.N. VX43928; 2/29; Morago Boonah Qld
- Cpl Sime. R.O. NX72029; 2/20; Kintore St Wahroonga NSW
- Cpl Smith. H.H. NX57018; 2/20; 14 Maple Ave Pennant Hills NSW
- L/Bdr Shepherd. F.O. NX30659; 2/15 FR; 8 McNamara St Orange NSW
- Pte Allen. R.L. NX55717; 2/20; 3 Helen St West Ulverston Tas
- Pte Alderton. J.D. NX44923; 2/18; 33 Hassel St Westmead NSW
- Pte Badger. A.F. NX53671; 2/20; Old Bar Taree NSW
- Pte Baldry. F. NX58713; 2/18; 31 Rowe St Roseville NSW
- Pte Barrett. H.D. NX40985; 2/18; Cooma Narrabri West NSW
- Pte Budden. J.H. NX73785; 2/29; Brook St Muswellbrook NSW
- Pte Burnett. R. NX33166; 2/20; 9 Yeo St Neutral Bay NSW
- Pte Burgess. A. WX15756; 4 MG; 1 Peninsula Rd Maylands WA
- Pte Byrne. L.M. NX54057; 2/20; 58 Dunlop St Epping NSW
- Pte Carmichael. J. VX53475; 2/29; Rocklyn Lake Goldsmith Beaufort Vic
- Pte Cheal. O.J. NX50482; 2/20; 53 Ivy St Redfern NSW
- Pte Clancy. J. NX26032; 2/18; 60 Bexhill Rd Lismore NSW
- Pte Collins. F. NX32561; 2/19; 12 Altona St Abbotsford NSW
- Pte Curtis. A. NX2139; 2/26; Maitland Rd Cessnock NSW
- Pte Dasey. A.J. NX14013; 2/18; 62 Brae St Inverell NSW
- Pte Davidson. J.H. VX35412; 2/29; 406 Glenfernie Rd Hawthorne Vic
- Pte Davies. W.L. NX48147; 2/18; Dymond St Bargo NSW
- Pte Deery. J.S. NX12931; 2/20; 10 Oxford St Lidcombe NSW
- Pte Dwyer. J. NX34396; 2/20; 3 Belmore St Mudgee NSW
- Pte Elkin. J. NX55641; 2/20; 13 Waterloo Rd Punchbowl NSW
- Pte Emmerson. W. QX23480; 2/29; Mulgowie via Laidley Q
- Gnr Evans. J. NX29019; 2/15 FR; Forester St Forbes NSW
- Pte Fisher. L.J. TX5251; 2/29; Oonah via Burnie Tas
- Pte Foster. T.A. NX31661; 2/20; 139 Cornwall St Taree NSW
- Pte Frewin. S.B. NX52142; 2/18; Maidens Brush Rd Gosford NSW
- Dvr Gall. J.G. NX20256; 2/20; McArthur Rd Elderslie Camden NSW
- Pte Henderson. A.J. NX34280; 2/20; 23 Mitchell St Stockton NSW
- Pte Holmes. H.R. NX73073; 2/18; Tomerong Nowra NSW
- Pte Hopson. E.M. WX9241; 4MG; 9 Vancouver St Albany WA
- Pte Incigneri. J.S. VX30764; 2/29; 118 Highett St West Richmond Vic
- Pte Jackson. S. TX4977; 2/29; Mooreville Rd Burnie Tas
- Pte Kane, T.M. NX42969; 2/19; 13 Harrington St Millers Point NSW
- Pte Kenny. J. NX17023; 2/20; 10 Cambridge St Paddington NSW
- Pte La Hay. J.H. NX53385; 2/20; 111 Northumberland St Liverpool NSW
- Pte Lowin. R.E. VX44173; 2/29; Main St Drouin Vic
- Pte Lucas. A. QX23487; 2/29; ‘Woodrow’ Bayview Ave Undercliffe NSW
- Pte Maughan. E.C. QX24004; 2/29; 81 Praten St Warwick Q
- Pte McAlister. S.J. NX51422; 2/19; 310 Park Rd Lidcombe NSW
- Dvr McCooey. H. VX53342; 4/MT Res; Boisdale Gippsland Vic
- Dvr McDonald. J. TX8234; 2/29; 40 Murray St Hobart Tas
- Pte McLellan. R. QX22613; A.S.C. Tawak Isis via Childers Q
- Pte McKenzie. C.M. VX27931; 2/29; Orlando St Hampton Vic.
- Pte Nelson F.A. NX54038; 2/20; 38 Short St Balmain North NSW
- Pte Nelson R.F. VX8212; 2/29; 46 Garden St Sydney NSW
- Pte Nolan J. VX59187; 2/29; Dumosa Vic
- Pte Norden. F.G. NX33498; 2/20; 87 Sutherland Rd Paddington NSW
- Pte Nunn,J. VX41048; 2/29; 69 Armstrong St Middle Park Vic
- Pte O’Donnell. J.C. VX24018; 2/29; 10 Lester St Hawthorne Vic
- Dvr Oxley. E.N. NX35360; 2/20; Twynam Narrandera NSW
- Pte Pearson. J.G. NX6591; Mobile Laundry; 29 North St Penrith NSW
- Pte Quinn. C.G. WX9285; 4MG; Cancanning E Wagin WA
- Pte Roberts. H. NX35661; 2/19; Farm 140 Leeton NSW
- Pte Robinson. F.N. TX5812; 2/29; East Wynyard Tas
- Pte Rodgers. J. VX59411; 2/29; 22 Glass St Richmond Vic
- Pte Rose. J.D. NX54927; 2/19; 3 Grosvenor St Croydon NSW
- Gnr Roy. W. VX54285; A/T; Warracknabeal Vic
- Pte Rush. A.E. NX40942; 2/18; ‘Oklahoma’ Bundarra NSW
- Pte Rush, I.J. NX40907; 2/18; ‘Oklahoma’ Bundarra NSW
- Pte Salter. D.B. TX8178; 2/29; 18 Forest Rd Hobart Tas
- Spr Sargent. R.F. VX30106; 2/10 RAE; 72 Penders St Thornbury Vic
- Pte Sawyer. F.K. NX39734; 2/18; 5 Short St Mudgee NSW
- Pte Scott. P.G. VX19648; 2/29; 11 Hotham St South Melbourne Vic
- Pte Semple. R. WX7532; 4MG; Jandakot via Fremantle WA
- Pte Shields. R.F.A. NX49720; 2/18; Aiken Rd West Pennant Hills NSW
- Pte Simon. R. NX48962; 2/18; Forster Cape Hawk NSW
- Pte Smith. H.M. WX17448; 4MG; Bradford St Waroona WA
- Pte Squance. C.D. WX16886; 4MG; Waterhouse Bay PO WA
- Pte Stanton. H.A. QX23428; 2/29; Cinnabar via Kilkwan Q
- Pte Stapleton. J.D. NX4521; 2/19; 24 Roslyn St Ashbury NSW
- Pte Syer. A. VX59251; 13AGH; 95 Hume St Echuca Vic
- Pte Tangney. R.C. NX73876; 2/20; 7 Paternoster Row Pyrmont NSW
- Pte Taylor. R.W. VX43250; 2/29; 193 Charmans Rd Cheltenham Vic
- Pte Ullyett. H. VX34101; 2/10RAE; 706 Burwood Rd Hawthorne Vic
- Pte Ward. J.A. NX55539; 2/18; ‘Coonamole’ Mowbray St Sylvania NSW
- Pte Wardrope. G.A.C. NX27620; 2/20; 9 Wattle St West Ryde NSW
- Pte Williamson. R.J.NX35919; 2/19; Moore St Ganmain NSW
- Pte Willms. B. QX23493; 2/29; Bollon PO Q
- Pte Winn. J. VX58652; 4GCS; 69 Brown Ave Richmond Vic
Atjeh Sumatra Working Party Left Gloegoer 8-3-44
Tranter, Magill, MacKay, North, Alderton, Badger, Baldry, Barrett, Budden, Burnett, Collins, Davidson, Davies, Dasey, Elkin, Fisher, Frewin, Gall, Holmes, Incigneri, Jackson, Kane, † La Hay (25 May 1944), Lowin, McLellan, † McKenzie (2 Jan 1945), Nelson F.A., Nelson R.F., Nolan, Oxley, Pearson, Quinn, Robinson, Rodgers, Roy, Rush A.E., Rush I.J., Sawyer, Scott, Simon, Shields, Stanton, † Stapleton (29 Dec 1944), Syer, Tangney, Ullyett, Ward, Wardrope, Winn, † Hopson (26 April 1944)
Left Gloegoer 25-6-44, ship sunk 26-6-44.
(ω…)Richardson, Nichols, Baeyertz, Thompson, Bode, Walters, Annear, ω…Campbell, Cotterell, Extrem, Harrington, Haworth, ω…Kernan, Parish, Pointing, Smith H.H., Sime, Shepherd, ω…Burgess, Byrne, Carmichael, Cheal, Curtis, ω…Dwyer, Evans, Foster, Henderson, Kenny, McAlister, McCooey, ω…Norden, O’Donnell, Rose, Semple, Smith H.M., Squance, Taylor, Williamson, ‡ Richards, ‡ Clancy, ‡ Deery, ‡ Emmerson, ‡ Allen, ‡ Lucas, ‡ Maughan, ‡ McDonald, ‡ Roberts, ‡ Nunn, ‡ Salter, ‡ Sargent, ‡ Willms.
Code: ω… = Not returned to Pakan Baroe; ‡ = Missing believed dead; † = Died; (…) = Extra information inserted by transcriber.
Appendix 8: Photo of Albie & Ivan RUSH on release from Pakan Baroe POW camp.
Hilton Stanton commented on this photo: “The Rush brothers looked remarkably well [compared to how they looked at the end of the war]. The photo was one month from the end of WWII and all Albie and Ivan had to do was to eat and sleep until we were evacuated. Albie looked terrible at the end of the war… he was just skin and bone. He was in the "speedo" gang, working for 24 hours straight to finish the railway line on the date set by Tokyo. No-one had clothes. We had no boots. Our clothes were just a "Jap Happy"… a piece of cloth about 6 inches wide and 2 foot long, attached to a tape that acted as a belt.
We were evacuated to Singapore from the POW camp by the RAAF to Singapore. We did not get any "fancy" treatment. Some who needed surgery, got same. I had a tooth out. I think that we only had Army rations. On return to Australia we were given one month leave. Then to hospital… me for one month. I had amoebic dysentery as many did, it was successfully treated.”
Return to Chapter 13 here.
The Story Continues
Please browse the research that has been done on families that are related to the FOSTERs, all contained on this web site: